Melfort RCMP UPDATE – 2018-07-23 7:30 a.m. – Further investigation revealed that the item seized was an imitation firearm. A 15 year-old male from the Tisdale area has been charged with the following in relation to this incident:
- Use a Firearm in the Commission of an Offence, Sec. 85(1)(a) Criminal Code (CC)
- Careless Use of a Firearm, Sec. 86(1) CC
- Point a Firearm, Sec. 87 CC
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose, Sec. 88 CC
- Carry Concealed Weapon, Sec. 90 CC
- Resist Arrest, Sec. 129(a) CC
- Assault with a Weapon, Sec. 267(a) CC
- Possession of a Firearm while Prohibited, Sec. 117.01(1) CC
- 2 counts, Breach of Probation, Sec. 137 CC
The accused cannot be identified in accordance with the Youth Criminal Justice Act. He remains in custody and will appear in Melfort Provincial Court on July 24, 2018.
Melfort RCMP media release 2018-70-20 9:30 pm – On Friday, July 20, at approximately 7:50 p.m., Melfort RCMP responded to a complaint of a male at the Melfort Fair with what appeared to be a firearm.
An altercation took place between the male and three females. No shots or injuries have been reported.
Three persons of interest were identified and arrested on scene without incident. One firearm was seized. A fourth person of interest has yet to be located; however, there is not believed to be a risk to public safety.
Members remain on scene and will continue to have a presence at the fair throughout the weekend. The investigation continues.
Updates will be provided as they become available.